[mapserver-users] DNC - msOGRFileOpen(): OGR error

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 14 09:40:00 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 9:19 AM, Derek Bain <beartreeyoga at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am back to trying to fix my DNC problem. If I run the shp2img within
> FWTools, then the generated .png file contains my DNC image. However running
> the shp2img supplied with MapServer gives the following error
>
> msDrawMap(): Image handling error. Failed to draw layer named
> 'hydarea_hyd_area'. <br>
> msOGRFileOpen(): OGR error. Open failed for OGR connection in layer
> `hydarea_hyd_area'.  File not found or unsupported format. <br>
>
> If I understand what happens, MapServer uses shp2img to generate a temp
> image file which it then sends back to the WMS Client.
>
> I have tried copying the shp2img (and all its dlls etc)  from FWTools to
> MapServer but that did not work, so I assume it is a bit more complicated
> than that.
>
> Could someone tell me what FWTools source files I would need to copy to the
> MapServer gdal folder so I can recompile MapServer and when compiled what
> files do I copy to ms4w and to which folders as there seems to be some
> duplication of files in ms4w.

Derek,

You cannot generally mix FWTools and standard binaries.  The FWTools
binaries deliberately use distinct naming because they are not a release
level ABI.

I presume the DNC files are not working with the standard mapserver
binaries because they use a GDAL/OGR version that does not
include OGDI support.  The OGDI gateway for GDAL/OGR is an
optional item and not include in simple builds.

I would note that OSGeo4W (http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w) also
includes OGDI support.

Best regards,