Cascading external WMS using basic authentication over https

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at POBOX.COM
Mon Jan 21 11:22:41 EST 2008

Rahkonen Jukka wrote:
>> Frank Warmerdam wrote
>> Rahkonen Jukka wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to make MapServer to cascade another WMS
>> service that
>>> must be accessed through https and that wants to get
>> username/password
>>> for authentication? How?
>> Jukka,
>>
>> I'm not sure what others ways are possible, but I found that
>> to get MapServer able to talk to a password protected WMS (or
>> perhaps WFS?) I had to hack the code to pass some extra
>> options to curl.  Ideally we would provide a mechanism to do
>> this directly from the mapserver if there is no better way.
>
> Direct way from mapserver would be very convenient for us.  Should I
> make make a feature request and hope for the best or what?

Jukka,

I would be willing to implement this if you are willing to help with some
research, RFC writing and testing.  In particular we need to isolate what
extra curl options such as, but possibly not limited to, userid and password
we should be able to pass through.  Then we can write up an RFC based on
doing this through layer metadata.  Then - once approved - I can implement
and you could test.

As I think back, I realize the other time I did something like this it
was actually using a digital certificate rather than simple userid/password
protection.  Ideally we would address both cases.

If this effort level exceeds the amount of effort you want to invest, then
filing an enhancement ticket at least summarizing some of these ideas would
be a good start.

PS. If implemented we would presumably do it in a way that applied to
WFS and WMS client layers.

Best regards,