Ideal web server configuration

Ed McNierney ed at TOPOZONE.COM
Tue Jan 22 17:05:51 EST 2008

Mike -

Please always reply to the list; there are lots of other people out there with more database expertise than I!

"RAID" isn't just one thing - RAID-1, RAID-5, RAID-10, etc. all have very different goals and features/disadvantages.  I'm not actually recommending anything for your database; first, I don't have enough information on your application to do that, and while I certainly have opinions I don't have a broad range of experience in PostgreSQL/PostGIS applications.  I know how to make MINE work well, but not everyone's application is like mine...

There are quite a few folks on the list with PostgreSQL/PostGIS expertise, so if you can describe your usage of those applications in specific detail you will make it easier for us to give advice.  For example "frequent queries/updates" means very different things to different people - is "frequent" one update every day, or one per minute?

     - Ed

Ed McNierney
Chief Mapmaker
Demand Media / TopoZone.com
73 Princeton Street, Suite 305
North Chelmsford, MA  01863
ed at topozone.com
Phone: +1 (978) 251-4242
Fax: +1 (978) 251-1396

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Leahy [mailto:mgl.gis at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Mike Leahy
Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:23 PM
To: Ed McNierney
Subject: Re: [UMN_MAPSERVER-USERS] Ideal web server configuration

Ed,

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm still not entirely clear on what disk configuration you would
recommend for the database.  From what you're saying, RAID is generally
not so good for scenarios that involve many writes to the disk...am I
understanding this correctly?  If so, would it make sense to use a RAID
setup for storage of static data (e.g., system files, imagery, etc.),
plus an additional disk to hold the database and other read-write
resources (e.g., PHP session files etc.)?

Ideally, I figure we would want different components of our application
to be arranged on separate servers...but I don't think that's going to
be an option in our case.

Regards,
Mike