[mapserver-users] Making mapserver into a WMS

Robert Sanson SansonR at asurequality.com
Wed Jun 4 16:49:36 EDT 2008

Hi Matthew

Just save the "mapserv.exe" file and give it an .xml extension, then opne it with a text editor. It will be XML!

Cheers,

Robert Sanson

>>> "Matthew Pettis" <matthew.pettis at gmail.com> 5/06/2008 12:55 a.m. >>>

Hi,

I'm trying to test ms4w as a WMS for use with OpenLayers.  Went
through the tutorial at:

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/wms_server/#setup-a-mapfile-for-your-wms

I created a simple mapfile according to the specs (I think).  It is
after the '===========' delimiter.  I called it with the following
url:

http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=C:\ms4w\Apache\htdocs\tmp\map.map&SERVICE=WMS&VERSION=1.1.1&REQUEST=GetCapabilities

and it asked me to download the mapserv.exe application.  Not what i
expect.  I'm pretty sure everything else is in order, because when I
call:

http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=C:\ms4w\Apache\htdocs\tmp\map.map&mode=map

I get the expected map in my browser.

Any ideas what is wrong or how I am screwing up the incantation?

Thanks,
Matt

===========
MAP

    ################
    # Map attributes
    ################
  IMAGETYPE   PNG
  EXTENT      184056.505 4809728.25 767381.245 5478975.75
  SIZE        660 495
  IMAGECOLOR  255 255 255
  FONTSET     "C:/ms4w/Apache/htdocs/fonts/fonts.list"

  PROJECTION
    "init=epsg:26915"
  END

    ####################
    # Web settings
    ####################
  WEB
    IMAGEPATH   "C:/ms4w/Apache/htdocs/tmp/"
    IMAGEURL    "/tmp/"
    METADATA
        "wms_title"           "WMS Demo Server"
        "wms_onlineresource"  "http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?"
    END
  END

    ####################
    # State
    # Background shows through missing precincts to show where no
votes will be coming from
    ####################
  LAYER
    NAME              "state"
    METADATA
        "wms_title"           "state"
    END
    CONNECTIONTYPE    postgis
    CONNECTION        "user=postgres dbname=gisvote password=postgres"
    DATA              "the_geom from shp_state"
    STATUS            default
    TYPE              polygon

    CLASS
      NAME            "state"
      COLOR           200 200 200
    END

  END # Layer state

END

The contents of this email are confidential to AsureQuality. If you have received this communication in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the message and any attachments. The opinions expressed in this email are not necessarily those of AsureQuality. This message has been scanned for known viruses before delivery. AsureQuality supports the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007. If you do not wish to receive similar communications in future, please notify the sender of this message.