[mapserver-users] WMS Client setup not sending any requests

GoneWacko gonewacko at gonewacko.com
Wed Jun 11 03:34:13 EDT 2008

Hello,

I am currently working on a project where I'm trying to use Mapserver as a
WMS client, intending to have Mapserver handle the overlaying of data for
me. The WMS service I'm going to be using one licensed from the National
Land Survey of Finland.

This server only supports HTTPS connections and requires Basic Authorization
to get data from the service. This may prove to be an issue for me in the
future, but at the moment I'm having (what I suspect to be) a different
problem.

When I test my Map file, which to the best of my (currently limited)
knowledge of Mapserver, should work, I only get entirely white images back
from the mapserv binary. I've not yet figured out how to get mapserv to do
verbose logging, but the logging it does so far does not show me what the
issue might be.

I've been trying to get it to work on linux, but then when it didn't I tried
it on my local windows machine as well. Both machines display the same white
image.

The output of my mapserv -v invocations:

On Linux:

MapServer version 5.0.2 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=GEOS
INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

On Windows:

MapServer version 5.0.2 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG OUTPUT=WBMP
OUTPUT=PDF OUTPUT=SWF OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=AGG
SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT
SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WCS _SERVER
SUPPORTS=SOS_SERVER SUPPORTS=FASTCGI SUPPORTS=THREADS SUPPORTS=GEOS
INPUT=JPEG INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE

The map file I'm using can be found at the following location:
http://www.gonewacko.com/work/finland.map

For more information about the capabilities of the WMS Server I'm trying to
connect to, I've uploaded the results of a GetCapabilities request here:
http://gonewacko.com/work/GetCapabilities.xml (Most of the text is in
Finnish; Which I don't actually understand myself, but luckily it's not too
relevant).

The URL I've been using to test it has usually just been
http://example.com/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/path/to/finland.map
<http://example.com/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/path/to/finland.map&mode=map>
&mode=map.

My theories are

                - The map has been set up in such a way that mapserv finds
it's not within the area I'm requesting, and as such does not attempt to
render it.

                - The map has just been set up incorrectly (most likely)

Note that the only files I have are the map file. I do not have any shape
files or anything of that nature. And apart from the censored login
information in the URLs, the map file is available in its entirety.

Also note that I've tried replacing the WMS URLs with something that is not
a https url (i.e. a normal http url), as well as omitting the authorization
data. It still wouldn't send a request to the URL.

Can anyone shed some light on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Stijn Gijsen