[mapserver-users] Linux installation

Brent Wood pcreso at pcreso.com
Thu Mar 20 22:46:49 EDT 2008

> > Until now I was using mapserver only under Windows environments but now
> > I need to change to a Linux platform.
> >
> > My knowledge about Linux is very limited, so I will need some help:
> >

> > Is there any distribution recommended in order to run mapserver over it??
> >
> > Is there any tutorial or manual explaining how to install mapserver 5
> > w/postgis over Linux??

I suggest you look at these books:

Web Mapping Illustrated: Using Open Source GIS Toolkits by Tyler Mitchell
Beginning MapServer: Open Source GIS Development by Bill Kropla

I have found them largely complimentary & very useful.

Also, if you look at OpenSuse as your Linux distro, there is a repository which
now includes mapserver, including java & php mapscript, as well as a pretty
good selection of FOSS GIS tools.

See:http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Application:/Geo/

Cheers,

  Brent Wood