[mapserver-users] upload/stream data from GPS unit?

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Thu Mar 27 14:46:25 EDT 2008

Bill,

  Maybe.  It depends what your expectations are with respect
to Near-Real-Time.  Mapserver can support GDAL/OGR layers if
Mapserver is built with GDAL+Expat (not uncommon, but my
version isn't built with Expat).  I think the layer
definition might look something like:

LAYER
    NAME "gps"
    TYPE point
    STATUS DEFAULT
    CONNECTIONTYPE OGR
    CONNECTION "mygps.gpx"
    CLASS
        STYLE
            COLOR 0 0 255
        END
    END
END

Hopefully (!) there won't be any file access problems if
your GPS s/w is creating the gpx file the same time
Mapserver/GDAL is trying to read it.

We implemented a tracking system a few years ago by writing
a program to insert/update positions (received every 30
minutes per gps unit by email) into a PostgreSQL database
and have Mapserver read the positions from there.  Using a
relational database avoids the file locking problem and
provided a few other benefits.

Another limitation of Mapserver is the fact that is doesn't
push any data to the end application (e.g. browser, WMS/WFS
client) until it is requested.  For example if you show a
raster map in a browser and don't refresh it for an hour,
your positions as displayed in the browser are an hour old.
Of course it is possible to code some html/javascript to
request a new map every so often.

If your main interest is in how to get the positions from
the GPS receivers into a database, as far as I know there
are no open standards used directly by the GPS vendors.  One
open project is http://www.opendmtp.org/.  Another effort is
the Ham radio APRS (while the radio part is for
non-commercial use only, you might be able to use some the
ideas in the upper levels of the protocol). In any case,
you'll likely need to do some programming/scripting...

Brent Fraser
GeoAnalytic Inc.
Calgary, Alberta