[mapserver-users] PostGis not displayed byMapServer

Jeff McKenna jeffmckenna at gmail.com
Thu May 1 14:35:07 EDT 2008

My thoughts:

1) MS4W is preconfigured for the following imagepath and imageurl
settings, in case you are not aware:

   IMAGEPATH "/ms4w/tmp/ms_tmp/"
   IMAGEURL "/ms_tmp/"

2) I assume that the postgis layer is in the same projection as the
local layer?
	- test this by setting the extents to the postgis layer and removing
the local layer from the mapfile

3) use ogrinfo to verify the extents of the postgis layer

     e.g.   ogrinfo -ro PG:"host=127.0.0.1 user=postgres dbname=gmap"
yourlayername --summary

4) make sure you specified an srid when you loaded the data into postgis

    e.g.  shp2pgsql -s 42304 province.shp province > province.sql

5) here is my my working tiny mapfile with a postgis layer:

#
# Start of map file
#
#
NAME "postgis"
STATUS ON
SIZE 400 300
SYMBOLSET ../etc/symbols.txt
## ESPG:42304 extents:
EXTENT -2200000 -712631 3072800 3840000
UNITS METERS
SHAPEPATH "../data"
IMAGECOLOR 255 255 255
FONTSET ../etc/fonts.txt

#
# Start of web interface definition
#
WEB
   IMAGEPATH "/ms4w/tmp/ms_tmp/"
   IMAGEURL "/ms_tmp/"
END

PROJECTION
   "init=epsg:42304"
END

#
# Start of layer definitions
#

LAYER
   NAME provinces
   TYPE POLYGON
   STATUS DEFAULT
   CONNECTIONTYPE postgis
   CONNECTION "host=127.0.0.1 user=postgres port=5432 dbname=gmap"
   DATA "the_geom FROM province USING unique gid using srid=42304"
   PROJECTION
     "init=epsg:42304"
   END
   CLASS
     NAME "Land"
     STYLE
       COLOR 240 240 240
       OUTLINECOLOR 199 199 199
     END
   END
END # layer

END # Map File

6) test your mapfile with the shp2img utility (http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/reference/utilityreference/shp2img
)

   e.g. shp2img -m gmap75_postgis.map -o test.png -map_debug 3

--jeff

On 1-May-08, at 11:24 AM, <susanne.kalliany at tefis.at> <susanne.kalliany at tefis.at