[MAPSERVER-USERS] Any other Routing solution than pgRouting/Oracle NDM ?

riteshambastha ritesh.linux at gmail.com
Fri May 2 13:38:47 EDT 2008

Thanks Steve,

I am pretty sure your words are making a mapserver enthusiast's life very
easy.

For Route computation I am using a licensed version of Oracle Spatial DB.
Now, as PostGIS is looking so promising in the market, I am also thinking to
shift to PostGIS.

And after that, I will re-engineer my routing code using :
>pgRouting
>Ka-map xmlOverlay

I guess I am going in the right direction.

Regards,
Ritesh Ambastha

Stephen Woodbridge wrote:

> riteshambastha wrote:
>> Thanks Steve,
>>
>> Route computation is taking an average time of 1.2 sec.
>> Post this, showing route on the browser takes a lot of time.
>> I am not using kamap xml overlay and any lib of openlayers.
>>
>> I am posting this route result xml into a db, and allowing a map file to
>> read this db and show the route on map.
>> I know this is not an efficient way to do the job.
>
> I would start by adding some timing to a log file so you KNOW where your
> time is getting spent, then work on optimizing the larger times.
>
> I think this is the fastest way to go unless the route is relatively
> small in the number of nodes in the polyline. You should look at getting
> rid of the xml, in fact, why are you going to xml at all and then
> putting it back into the database. The data is being generate in the
> database then you extract it and format it into xml and then put the xml
> back into the database for mapserver to pick up. I think you should just
> put it into a table of routes with a unique sessionid+routeid key then
> pass the key to mapserver to use on selecting the right record.
>
>> I got to know that openlayers libs can help me to achieve the same. I
>> want
>> to know how in-efficient will be to use kamap xml overlay instead of any
>> fn
>> of openlayers.
>
> You can server the route as a wfs layer, but if it is complicated it
> might be too many points to handle quickly in the browser.
>
> -Steve
>
>> Regards,
>> Ritesh Ambastha
>>
>> Stephen Woodbridge wrote:

>>> What is taking too long?
>>> 1) is it the route computation
>>> 2) transfering the route data to OpenLayers