[mapserver-users] Tile Indexing Shape files.

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu May 8 12:59:10 EDT 2008

Nelson Soto wrote:
> I'm trying to split up and index my parcel layer and perhaps other
> layers to address performance concerns. I have used the shp2tile
> program to split my files, but now where do I go from here? I have
> used gdaltindex before to utilize orthos that were already tiled, so I
> understand the concept but this is slightly different. What do I do
> from here?

cd /path/to/shapepath
find parcel_dir -name \*.shp -print > parcels.in
tile4ms parcels.in parcels-tidx
shptree parcels-tidx
find parcel_dir -name \*.shp -exec shptree {} \;

this should create a tile index based on the files in parcels.in
and create spatial indexes for all the tiled shapefiles.

If you are on windows, you are on you own :) or you can install cygwin
to run the commands above.

-Steve