[mapserver-users] Converting datum using ogr2ogr

NASUNO Isao isao.nasuno at ctc-g.co.jp
Thu May 15 00:58:55 EDT 2008

Hi Jukka,

Thank you for your response.

yes, I tried with the options (s/t_srs), however it makes conversion
for projection but not for datum.

In my case, I used following options but the input and output
are exactly same.

  -s_srs "EPSG:4301"   -t_srs "EPSG:4326"
  (GCS with bessel)    (GCS with WGS84)

I checked GDAL FAQ and found following.

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/FAQCoordinateSystemsAndProjections#WhydoesntGDALautomaticallychoosethedatumtransformation
------------------------------------
Why doesn't GDAL automatically choose the datum transformation?
  There is no such thing as an accurate "default" set of datum transformation
  parameters for a datum. OGR uses (NADCON) by default, which is the most
  accurate available for North America, but in the general case (worldwide)
  this is very hard to determine and there normally is no such thing as a default.
  The transformation that should be used depends on the exact area covered,
  accuracy required etc. In other words, user beware and do your homework.

Is this the reason ?
I am not sure if ogr2ogr can accept the parameters in manual.
Please help if any idea.

Thanks,

Isao