[mapserver-users] testing mapserver large files rendering improvements

Guillaume Sueur guillaume.sueur at neogeo-online.net
Thu May 15 09:27:22 EDT 2008

Hi,

I've just been doing few tests on mapserver trunk version to get an idea
of how much the rendering of large shapefiles has been improved by
paul's hacks on shx handler
(http://blog.cleverelephant.ca/2008/04/see_30.html)

My shapefile is 1 208 668 features, 160 Mo for the .shp file itself with
a .shx of 5.2 Mo

here are the times for a 5x5 km map to be drawn with shp2img, in PNG (no
AGG)

NO QIX :
mapserv 5.0.2 : 0.680 s
mapserv trunk : 0.699 s (!)

WITH QIX :
mapserv 5.0.2 : 0.124 s
mapserv trunk : 0.027 s

it looks like if the improvement only appears with use of a .qix file,
which is highly recommended but sometimes forgotten.
Has anyone had the same kind of experiment ?

By the way, I noticed that it doesn't seem mandatory anymore to write
the mapfile's DATA statement without the .shp extension to make use of
the .qix file, as the results are strictly identical on mapserver trunk
if I write "streets.shp" or "streets". Can someone confirm that ?

Thanks

Guillaume