[mapserver-users] testing mapserver large files rendering improvements

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Thu May 15 11:24:12 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 8:00 AM, Kristian Thy <thy at 42.dk> wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, Paul Ramsey wrote:
>> I've been thinking about auto-building qix files... it would fix this
>> problem and also fix the problem of the shape file that gets updated
>> and out-of-synch with its index file.
>
> Seeing that this would probably lead to (slightly) decreased performance
> since mapserver-cgi would need to verify the qix for each shapefile for
> each request, I would at least encourage adding it as a map file option
> (default off)

Not really, we're talking about zero overhead. Only do it for shape
files you are going to draw, and then all you're doing is checking for
file existence and comparing the nrecords headers, all of which you
have to do anyways for the draw.

> Then again, you wouldn't get the benefit of it if you don't read the
> docs, which is the problem you're trying to fix ;)

Well yeah, it has to be on by default, or it misses the point of
helping people get the most out of mapserver with the least start-up
knowledge.