[mapserver-users] testing mapserver large files rendering improvements

Guillaume Sueur guillaume.sueur at neogeo-online.net
Thu May 15 11:24:29 EDT 2008

I'm not sure that "standard" user uses often msDebug().
My point was just to say that if somebody tries and tests MapServer,
he/she will only read the basic documentation to have a working mapfile
on a dataset. Once it works, no more reading will be done. And if a
large shape is tested, the user can then be disappointed.
The thing is that it's more than a specific tuning stuff, maybe more
than a GIST index on a postGIS database.
I think it should be mentionned at least in the Vector Data Access /
shapefiles doc of the website. In addition to "Shapefiles are made up of
a minimum of three similarly named files, with different suffixes..",
one could write : "having a .qix file made with shptree improves
considerabily the performances, mostly on large shapefiles"

Beside this, I like the idea of building a MapFile Optimizer too...
Daniel, what do you have in mind exactly ?

--
Guillaume