[mapserver-users] testing mapserver large files rendering improvements

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu May 15 11:59:28 EDT 2008

Guillaume Sueur wrote:

>> In my mind, we should do the right thing by default, and give the
>> power users the option to opt out, rather than forcing everyone to
>> become a power user to achieve something as basic as indexed file
>> access.
>
> +1 for this approach

The right thing to do is not the same in everyone's eyes.

In my eyes, creating .qix files by magic and risk filling up a hard
drive partition and causing other tools relying on some amount of free
space on the same partition to fail is not the right thing to do by
default... but that's just me.

Yes, I know, .qix files are relatively small, but you're opening the
door to other operations of the same type that could end up really
filling a disk without the admin even expecting it... because he thought
  of MapServer data access as a read-only operation like I used to.

/me wonders why PostGIS doesn't create indexes on geometries by default
if indexing is the right thing to do by default (or does it do that
already?).

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette