[mapserver-users] testing mapserver large files rendering improvements

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu May 15 12:07:50 EDT 2008

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> Guillaume Sueur wrote:
>>

>>> In my mind, we should do the right thing by default, and give the
>>> power users the option to opt out, rather than forcing everyone to
>>> become a power user to achieve something as basic as indexed file
>>> access.
>>
>> +1 for this approach
>>

> The right thing to do is not the same in everyone's eyes.

Folks,

I'm also against mapserver automatically creating .qix files, for the reasons
Daniel and others have given.

I'd add that current shapefile update tools (including he mapscript shapefile
writing code, Shapelib and OGR) do *not* update .qix files.  If secretly
create a .qix file for a shapefile that is being periodically updated all
hell is likely to break out.

BTW, .qix files can be *relatively* large.  For a shapefile of points, the
.qix can easily be bigger than the .shx file.

Best regards,