[MAPSERVER-USERS] wms server, serve layers in multiple projections

Neil Best nbest at LANWORTH.COM
Tue May 20 09:36:31 EDT 2008

Maria Panagou wrote:

> I am wondering if it is possible to setup a WMS server with Mapserver,
> that will serve layers in more than one map projection. For example it it
> possible to declare at MAP level such a PROJECTION declaration?
>
> PROJECTION
>      "init=epsg:900913"
>      "init=epsg:4326"
>   END

Maria, my understanding is that the projection(s) that you want to advertise
for your service should be listed in the WEB stanza METADATA block with the
"wms_srs" tag.  If you use a MAP-level projection and no wms_srs metadata
then your service will advertise that single projection.  If wms_srs is
defined then the MAP-level PROJECTION simply becomes a default for Mapserver
to apply to your data sources.  See the WMS Server HOWTO for more details:
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/wms_server

Neil