[MAPSERVER-USERS] WMS server with non-EPSG SRS?

Neil Best nbest at LANWORTH.COM
Tue May 20 10:50:16 EDT 2008

I have been trolling the list for any sense of attempts to use or prospects
for ever using non-EPSG SRSs with a WMS server.  Somewhere I found a post, I
think it was this list but don't have the link handy, from 2001 saying that
there had been discussion to generalize the mechanism for advertising SRSs
in order to go beyond those defined in the epsg support file that ships with
proj, which suggests the possibility of advertising arbitrary projections,
not just those in the assorted support files.  I find myself in the
uncomfortable situation of trying to deliver my USGS-modified Albers equal
area ("proj -v +init=other.extra:42303") to a client in USA Contiguous
Lambert Conformal Conic ("proj -v init=esri:102004", also in esri.extra,
http://spatialreference.org/ref/epsg/102004/).  I have seen proj and ogr2ogr
respect the use of these other proj support files, but as far as I know
Mapserver does not, never mind that the WMS spec appears to only accommodate
EPSG-listed SRSs.  Is there any indication that this situation will change,
either through an extension to the WMS spec or other means?

Neil