[mapserver-users] RFC guidelines?

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri May 23 15:14:38 EDT 2008

Brent Fraser wrote:

>  I see some of the RFCs have a Documentation section stating that the
> Reference doc will be updated (RFC-36 is a good example, it even has
> details!).  I'd like to see this section adopted as a standard.  Is
> there an RFC template or guidelines doc somewhere?   I'd hate to see the
> Reference doc get too far out of date...

Brent,

At the moment there is no formal RFC template. It may be nice to have
one, but since every RFC is different, it is likely that some sections
may make sense in some cases and not in others, so any template we come
up with would likely need to be flexible with many of the sections being
optional. In the end anyway it's the completeness of the RFC contents
itself that make a good RFC and not necessarily the presence or not of a
specific section.

However I agree with the need for enough details in a RFC for users to
be able to use the new feature, and during the RFC review process we
will often ask for more usage details and examples to be added. I'd
invite you to keep an eye on new RFCs being discussed on the -dev list
and feel free to require more details when you feel (as a user) that a
given RFC does not contain enough info for a user to be able to use the
new feature.

Daniel
--
Daniel Morissette