[mapserver-users] Using dimensions with MapServer as WMS client

Alexandre Saunier alexandre.saunier at camptocamp.com
Mon May 26 13:52:41 EDT 2008

Hello,

I use Mapserver 5.0.2 as a client sending GetMap requests to some WMS
server. Requests should contain additional parameters such as "time" and
"elevation". For instance:
wms?LAYERS=...&REQUEST=GetMap&SERVICE=WMS&BBOX=...&TIME=...&ELEVATION=...

Using a "wms_time" metadata in the layer definition in the mapfile, I
have succeeded in  adding the "TIME" parameter to the request.

On the other hand, in order to add the "ELEVATION" parameter I have
tried to use the "wms_dimension*" metadata parameters as described in
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/docs/howto/mapcontext#layer-object-metadata
but couldn't have them taken into account. For instance:

 LAYER
      NAME "foobar"
      TYPE RASTER
      CONNECTION "http://foobar/wms?"
      CONNECTIONTYPE WMS
      METADATA
        "wms_srs"             "EPSG:4326"
        "wms_name"            "foobar"
        "wms_server_version"  "1.1.1"
        "wms_format"          "image/jpeg"
        "wms_title"           "Foobar"
        "wms_onlineresource"  "http://foobar/wms?"
        "wms_time"            "2007-06-13T12:00:00Z"
        "wms_dimension_elevation_uservalue" "100.0"
      END
 END

I have also tried to add other wms_dimension* parameters (such as
wms_dimensionlist or wms_dimension_elevation_default) as listed in the
manual example but with no success. In addition it seems that using
"wms_dimension_time_uservalue" instead of "wms_time" does not work either.

Thus I was wondering what were the required wms_dimension* parameters to
 add a dimension in a WMS GetMap performed by Mapserver and if there
were some extra settings needed to enable dimensions support?

Thanks for your help,
Alexandre