[mapserver-users] [MapServer] #2628: broken entry point in xerces 2.7 dll with default ms4w.zip file version 2.27 -- resolved as php.ini conflict with MGOS

the phloidster phloidster at yahoo.com
Mon May 26 23:00:32 EDT 2008

This behavior was apparently caused by loading the
php.ini file for MapGuide Open Source, which sets a
registry entry for PHP under
HKeyLocalMachine/Software.

My guess is that with the wrong php.ini loaded, the
cgi-php was also the wrong version; since the ms4w cgi
path preceded the MGOS, the ms4w xerces dll was being
loaded, but lacked the entry point MGOS cgi-php was
looking for.

Still find it odd that these 2 versions of
xerces-c_2_7.dll have identical build/version info,
but are clearly not identical.

After starting MapServer, and dismissing the error
dialog, Phpinfo showed the php.ini path.  Swapping the
MGOS xerces dll also 'fixed' the dll entry point
issue, but only if the MGOS path settings were also
enabled. However, that's a bit of a hack, and who
knows what else would be out of alignment.

I was able to repress the MGOS php.ini by renaming the
registry key, which means both can't be running at
once on my system.

Anyone who tries to host both MGOS and MapServer 5.x
may encounter this issue.

Perhaps there is a way to explictly tell MapServer
which php.ini file to load; my Apache conf skills are
a bit light.