[MAPSERVER-USERS] Displaying population density with Mapserver

Fawcett, David David.Fawcett at state.mn.us
Wed May 28 13:34:44 EDT 2008

Faldor,

When you have point coordinates stored in a text file, there really is
no way to encode/attach the projection definition.  Even if you could,
it doesn't sound like you really know what spatial reference system
(SRS) or projection that it is in.  The key to projecting to another SRS
or translating ground units to another measure (from degrees to meters)
is knowing what the current SRS of the data is.

Since your data is worldwide and it is unprojected (lat/lon), a good
first guess would be to assume that it is unprojected with using the
WGS84.

Try defining your layer projection by including this block in your layer
definition.

PROJECTION
   "init=epsg:4326"
END