[MAPSERVER-USERS] Displaying population density with Mapserver

Pierre-Benoit Besse besse.pb at gmail.com
Wed May 28 05:11:05 EDT 2008

Well, I confess, I'm new to GIS applications and I do not know a lot about
projections.
I understand I have to tell MapServer what is the projection of each layer I
use in the mapfile, but using ogrinfo on my shapefiles tells me that :

Layer name: pop_density
Geometry: Point
Feature Count: 249937
Extent: (-180.000000, -56.000000) - (179.750000, 83.500000)
*Layer SRS WKT:
(unknown)*
latitude: Real (24.15)
longitude: Real (24.15)
densite: Real (24.15)

I generated this shapefile from a CSV file with 3 columns : latitude,
longitude, density_value.
Did I have to define a projection then ? How do I do that ?

Best regards,

Faldor