[mapserver-users] Tracking vehicles, Displaying positions

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Wed Nov 5 13:48:31 EST 2008

Hi Carmelo,

I am doing prettyt much this for vessel positions using PostGIS databases instead of MySQL. I believe PostGIS offers more mature & substantially better support for spatial objects at present, but you can probably achieve similar results with MySQL.

>From a data management and display perspective, I suggest you consider three approaches depending on your needs:

1. Just display the GPS points of the required vehicles in the map.
2. Run a query to turn the required points into a linestring on the fly & display the line.
3. Pre build vehicle tracklines according to business rules and display selected lines in the map.

All are relatively simple to do with PostGIS & Mapserver, and can be managed with MySQL, although I don't think as easily. (We use mostly option 3, and also option 2, opion 1 is a bit limited & can be somewhat slower to display)

You also haven't said whether you want web maps or hard copy maps. I'm assuming you are looking at web maps for now, & can print the result if required.

The other issue is that the map needs some background to give your data context. If necessary you can assemble local datasets of roads, aerial/satellite imagery, etc to overlay your data on. However I suggest you consider OpenLayers to provide the maps in your web application. This gives you easy access to Google & OpenStreetMaps & a range of public WMS/WFS data as a background without having to manage these data yourself.

Using Postgis to manage your spatial data, mapserver to provide it as a web service & OpenLayers as the client in your application, actually putting the various layers together to build your map is a very effective toolset for the sort of thing I think you are trying to achieve.

If you do need local vector data in addition to your GPS data, then I don't think CAD is the way to go, as suggested by other respondents, extracting these into GIS formats is going to work better for you in this arena.

HTH,

   Brent Wood