[mapserver-users] How to make MapServer WMS/WCS support multi-band raster data

Yaxing Wei weiy at ornl.gov
Wed Sep 3 12:21:33 EDT 2008

I'm trying to put some GeoTIFF format raster data with multiple bands
into MapServer WMS and WCS.

My goal is:
 - For WMS, use something like "bands=2" in a WMS request to retrieve an
image of a specific band.
 - For WCS, use something like "bands=2" or "bands=2,4,7" in a WCS
request to retrieve data of some specific bands.

What I did is:
 - In the mapfile for WCS, I added
            "wcs_rangeset_axes"   "bands"
   in the LAYER's METADATA part, so I'm able to use "band=2" or "band=4"
to retrieve only ONE band in each WCS request. But I can't retrieve
multiple bands using something like "bands=2,4,7", the Exception message
looks like:
           <ServiceException code="InvalidParameterValue"
locator="bands">msWCSGetCoverage(): WCS server error. Error specifying
&quot;bands&quot; parameter value(s).

I have no idea at all about how to configure WMS mapfile to enable the
bands parameter.

Can anyone help me to solve this issue? Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Yaxing