[mapserver-users] Edit mode in mapserver

Alexandre Dube adube at mapgears.com
Fri Feb 20 15:04:56 EST 2009

Hi Rohan,

  It is not possible to "edit" features with MapServer.  You might want
to take a look at one of theses projects that can : GeoServer, TinyOWS,
FeatureServer.

  In a small demo I wrote, I use MapServer as my WMS server to render
images and TinyOWS as my WFS server to return GML and to do my
transactional stuff ( insert/update/delete ) and finally OpenLayers as
my client UI.  Both MapServer and TinyOWS read the "road" data from a
PostGIS database ( required with TinyOWS ).  See the demo below (1).

  Hope this gives you some clues/ideas for your project.

  Regards,

Alexandre

(1) http://dev4.mapgears.com/bdga/bdgaWFS-T.html
(2)
http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/topp/wfs/examples/wfs-protocol-transactions.html

rohan phatak wrote:
> Hello Friends,
> I am using Mapserver Application Gmap in which .map file is using. I
> am trying to develop "Information System" & I want to publish these
> map to other computers & i want to give 'edit' mode for user means if
> user see any new feature then he can insert point/line/polygon data in
> it with attribute information. ( the relationship is like Server-Client)
> So how to do this??
> 1. Is PHP/ mapscript will useful    Or
> 2. Is there any inbuilt  application to do these??
> at a time only one user can use edit mode.
> thanks a lot !!

Alexandre Dubé
Mapgears
www.mapgears.com