[mapserver-users] Status on ticket 2582?

Martin Kofahl m.kofahl at gmx.net
Sat Feb 21 02:57:31 EST 2009

Hi,
I think the second patch for ticket 1952 already covers some of these
issues for the wms service (one can easily change ows_service to
ows_hidden_layer -- I think 'hidden' makes even more sense than 'ignore'):

> 1) The hiding mechanism must not interfere with which layers that
> actually are rendered (turned on).
... only suppresses the capabilities output.

> 2) What will happen if the hidden layer is inside a GROUP?
... the single layer is hidden

> 3) What will happen if all layers inside a GROUP is hidden?
... as far I remember, the mentioned patch currently hides the whole
group and its layers. In order to support grouped layers for different
resolutions, my workaround was to hide any layer in this group (hence no
capabilities) and to have a single not-grouped, not-hidden layer with
the name identical to the group name.
When all grouped layers are hidden and we decide to expose it as a sigle
layer as Pål suggests, the question is which metadata to use.

> 4) What will happen if the hidden layer is part of a group defined
> with the wms_layer_group metadata tag?
... should work similar to 2 und 3. But currently I have no idea what
the patch does with wms_layer_group layers.

Martin