[mapserver-users] MapServer with RHEL5

Peter Hopfgartner peter.hopfgartner at r3-gis.com
Tue Feb 24 09:16:58 EST 2009

Eichner, Andreas - SID-NLKM wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> we're using MapServer 5.2 with RedHat Enterprise Linux 5, Update 3. The
> necessary packages (like gdal) are inserted from Fedora Core 6. That
> works but the packages are somewhat outdated. So I tried to use those
> from the EPEL channel instead but without success. After compiling MS it
> segfaults because of the same problem discussed earlier on the list with
> a conflict between librx headers and libraries (the segfault can be
> avoided adding some bytes to sizeof(regex_t) in ms_regcomp() but with
> the effect of ms_regexec() returning wrong results).
> The servers are fed by a satellite server and have no direct access to a
> separate repo. So does anyone use MS with RHEL5 and has a nice solution
> for that? My personal solution would be to use Debian as on my test
> server (where I never had problems compiling and using MS) but that's
> not an option for the productive systems here :(
>
> Regards,
> Andreas Eichner

Hi Andreas,

we use CentOS 5 and Red Hat 4/5 on all our servers. We are using the
EPEL packages on some of our servers, but mapserver is still at 4.10,
there. Anyway, we did not have real problems with that.

On most of our servers we use MapServer and PostGIS/GEOS with current
upstream versions. Usually, I take packages from Fedora 9/10 and replace
the source archive with the most current upstream version. Furthermore
we do compile our own GDAL package, sonce we need ECW support.

Needless to say, we do not have problems with those packages, they fit
well our needs. I can give you the SPEC file or the compiled binaries
for CentOS 5.2.

If you want to be sure they work for RHEL 5.3, wait until the end of the
week, I'm working on that these days.

Regards,

Peter

--