[mapserver-users] Mapserver etopo projection problem

Morten Sickel Morten.Sickel at nrpa.no
Wed Jan 21 04:22:56 EST 2009

Hi,

As a many year gis user, but fairly new to internet mapping applications, I am getting my feet wet by experimenting a bit with mapserver.

As I am doing a lot of mapping of marine areas, I want to use the etopo dataset as a backdrop, but something goes terribly wrong when I try to project it. In my mapfile, I have defined the extent and projetion as:

EXTENT -800000 -1500000 850000 1300000 #LAEA
UNITS METERS
  PROJECTION
	  "proj=laea" #
	  "lat_0=70"
	  "lon_0=15"
  END

And the etopo dataset is fetched as:

  LAYER
    PROJECTION
       "init=epsg:4326"
    END
    NAME         Etopo2
    TYPE         RASTER
    OFFSITE      0 0 0
    STATUS       ON
    CONNECTIONTYPE WMS
    CONNECTION "http://map.ngdc.noaa.gov/servlet/com.esri.wms.Esrimap?servicename=Deck41"
    METADATA
      "wms_srs" "EPSG:4326"
	  "wms_name" "MODIS/ETOPO2 Relief"
      "wms_server_version" "1.1.0"
      "wms_format" "image/jpeg"
    END
  END # Etopo2 WMS image ends here

What I end up with then can be seen in http://radioecology.info/images/etopo_laea.png
(the red lines are administrative borders in Norway) if I make the same map without projection, it ends up like
http://radioecology.info/images/etopo_geo.png (the borders are supposed to extend a bit out into the sea)

If I try to ue the topographical gtopo map, I fetch it with
etop
LAYER
    NAME         GTOPO
    TYPE         RASTER
    OFFSITE      0 0 0
    STATUS       OFF
    CONNECTIONTYPE WMS
    CONNECTION "http://imsref.cr.usgs.gov:80/wmsconnector/com.esri.wms.Esrimap/USGS_EDC_Elev_GTOPO?"
    METADATA
      "wms_srs" "EPSG:4326"
      "wms_name" "GLOBAL.GTOPO60_COLOR_RELIEF"
      "wms_server_version" "1.1.1"
      "wms_format" "image/jpeg"
    END

    PROJECTION
       "init=epsg:4326"
    END
 END

And I get http://radioecology.info/images/gtopo_laea.png which looks just right.

Any Idea of what goes wrong? The etopo dataset obiously gets projected, but I have no idea about how, I have also tried a few other projections, getting the same result, etopo freaking out, gtopo working nicely... Have anyone had any success in reprojecting etopo? Are there any other wms sources I can use? (Of cource, I can download the tiles I need and reproject and mess around with them as I like to, but it would also be useful to be able to use the etopo wms server.

Morten

--
Morten Sickel
Norwegian Radiation Protection Authority