[mapserver-users] data handling capacity of map server

Christy Nieman cnieman at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Jan 28 07:41:29 EST 2009

Hi,

As far as I know, there is no particular limiting data size that
MapServer can work with.  A lot will depend on how you optimize the data
(see http://mapserver.org/optimization/index.html ).  I am currently
working on a map that has more than 60GB of vector data (shapefiles) and
64GB of raster data (geotiffs).  There are other methods not discussed
in the optimization document that can also be explored (e.g. using
shp2tile/tile4ms, to create tiled shapefiles so that only the required
features are considered for a given map extent) but I would suggest
trying out the described methods to see if they suffice.  In my
experience, one of the best ways to speed up the drawing of vector
layers is to limit the use of filters and class expressions on large
data files.

Regards,

Christy
--
Christy Nieman
GIS Technician
Email: cnieman at dmsolutions.ca
Web: http://dmsolutions.ca
Web: http://research.dmsolutions.ca

cemre yilmaz wrote:
> Hi everybody I search about the data handling capacity and also the
> performance of umn mapserver in the mailing list but I can't find an
> exact answer to my question. I want to execute a database nearly 5 GB
> and only the vector data (shapefiles) and may be one raster map will
> be in my database. What do you think about the data handling
> performance of the 5 GB data and also the maximum data capacity of the
> mapserver?
>
> Coul you please give me information or information link
> about the question.
>
> Thanks..
>
> Cemre YILMAZ

Christy Nieman