[mapserver-users] GeoJSON output from MapServer

Fabio D'Ovidio fabiodovidio at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 17:39:19 EDT 2009

Hello,
sorry ...but i read also this mailing list :-)

Well,  our project wants to be indipendent from web application used to
transfer GeoJson because GeoBI is compliant to the OGC standards such as
WFS, WMS, SLD, etc...

Now, about this first implementation of GeoReport we used GeoServer because
it gives the possibilitiy to use in append to the WFS HTTP request
"outputformat=geojson" instead of GML.

Anyway MapOl makes a WFS request and reads the output by using
mapfish-geojson-lib...so there are 3 ways to use MapServer to do the same:

   1. use a GeoJSON template for WFS output
   2. use a GeoJSON template for mapserver CGI output
   3. GeoReport must do the conversion from WFS-GML to GeoJSON

At the moment we have choosen GeoServer but this is not exclusive respect
other WFS service implementations!
Anyway I think you can use at the moment both MapServer and GeoServer: you
must serve with GeoServer only the LAYER on which you want to do BI analysis
(so...one, two layers...not all cartographic levels)...while you can display
your layers by using MapFish Client and OpenLayers as WMS, WFS or MapServer
Layers!

PS:  what kind of geometries you want to analyze (by using GeoJSON)? POINTS,
POLYGONS....MULTIGEOMETRIES?

Thank you very much!

Fabio D'Ovidio