[mapserver-users] Cascading WMS layer requests in MapServer

Yewondwossen Assefa yassefa at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Jul 7 10:23:16 EDT 2009

Hi There,

  MapServer by default should try to merge WMS requests for adjacent
layers unless specifically asked not to using the metedata
wms_force_separate_request (http://mapserver.org/ogc/wms_client.html).

  Do you have an example of the full URL of the GetMap request for 2
adjacent layers that should be merged?  Note that all parameters of the
2 request should be the same except parameters such as LAYERS,
QUERY_LAYERS, STYLES that could be different.

Best Regards,

Rob wrote:
> Hi
>
> I was wondering if anybody knew whether it is possible to combine
> multiple requests to a cascaded WMS service.
>
> For example, my WMS service has lots of layers in it.  Amongst them
> are six cascaded layers from a 3rd party service.  If a user requests
> all six of those layers in one request currently, it makes six
> individual requests to the 3rd party service in order to draw those
> layers.
>
> Whilst this makes sense if the layers= parameter has different layers
> in between the 3rd party layers, when 2 or more layers are together,
> surely it would make more sense to make fewer requests where possible.
>
> Is this something that Mapserver already does and I havent spotted
> it(in the WMS_METADATA for example?) , or is this a future requirement
> ;o) ?
>
> MTIA
>
> Rob

Assefa Yewondwossen