[mapserver-users] access problems from cgi-bin on Mac OS X 10.4.11 / MAMP

rmaurer jevoudrais0418 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 12:28:03 EDT 2009

So I'm a first time MapServer user and have been trying to navigate the
installation process. I think I almost have it, but I am having some last
problems. When I access my executable mapserv file from the command line, I
get this:

This script can only be used to decode form results and should be initiated
as a CGI process via a httpd server.

All sounds good, right? Well, I am using MAMP to host an Apache2.0 server.
The httpd.conf file has the following in it:

Alias /cgi-bin/ "[rootfile]/cgi-bin/"

 Directory "[rootfile]/cgi-bin/\>

   AllowOverride None

   Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks Indexes

   Order allow,deny

   Allow from all
 /Directory\>

 AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .py

I know that first line should probably be ScriptAlias, but I kept getting a
"Permission Denied" message and read in a forum that this was a solution
somebody had come up with, and indeed it worked for me as well.

Anyways, the problem is that in this cgi-bin I have my  mapserv  executable
(though one of the things I'm thinking is that maybe I need to add something
else to AddHandler to make it think that this file is executable?). But when
I got to //localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv it tries to download the file as
"Untyped Binary Data" and it doesn't execute anthing.

In case its of any help the  ls -l for my cgi-bin gives the following
information:
-rwxr-xr-x   1 Rebecca  Rebecca   51244 Jul  9 07:52 mapserv

Do I not have this installed correctly? Or is my server just not realizing
that this is executable. I would be thrilled if I could just get to the
point where //localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv just brought up a "No query
information to decode" message, since I think I can handle it from there.

Thank you very much,

Rebecca