[mapserver-users] Mapfile displaying in red

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Jul 15 10:04:16 EDT 2009

Hello Paul,

Comments inline below:

Paul Curran wrote:
> Hi
>
> When i load my map file which can be seen below i can view the outline
> of map but the actual map displays as red. I am viewing the map via the
> mapserver.exe
> (e.g.http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?mode=map&map=c:/ms4w/apps/openlayers-2.5/data/test.map&layer='map'
> <http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?mode=map&map=c:/ms4w/apps/openlayers-2.5/data/test.map&layer='map'>)

For testing your mapfile, just use the shp2img commandline utility,
included in MS4W (http://www.mapserver.org/utilities/shp2img.html).

> Here is my map file, Can anyone spot were i am going wrong? any help
> greatly appreciated.
>
> The uk.shp file i am attempting to load consists of .tiff images amd was
> put together using FWTools

Make sure the EXTENT parameter is set to the extents of your shapefile -
you can use the ogrinfo utility (also included in MS4W) to grab the
shp's extents.  I would also remove all projection objects, if you only
have one layer.

Also, I don't understand what data your layer consists of.  Are you
saying that the shapefile is an indexfile of the extents of the tiffs?
(if yes, note that all the tools you needed to create it are also
included in MS4W)

If you have any questions about the tools in MS4W feel free to fire an
email to its mailing list: