[mapserver-users] mapscript + openlayers

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Wed Mar 4 23:23:19 EST 2009

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 10:01:33AM +0545, Binay Raja. Shrestha wrote:
> Dear sir,
>
> I am using mapserver and C#mapscript. Can I use openlayers javascript
> with c#mapscript.
>
> If it is possible can u provide me any tutorials or links useful for
> development.

Binay,

Generally speaking, OpenLayers talks to a URL to fetch 'tiles': images
with data. This data can be provided by anything, so, for example, you
can use PHP mapscript to accept image parameters and deliver this data.

However, generally speaking, there isn't need to use MapScript for this
type of application. Instead, you can use the MapServer CGI directly to
serve requests, via WMS or some other mechanism.

Whether you can use OpenLayers with your particular usage of MapScript
depends entirely on how you're using it. Are you building an application
in C# and want to use MapScript? Do you want to integrate OpenLayers in
something that requests a dynamic image generated? Something else? All
these possibilities have different sorts of answers. For a more detailed
response than "Yes, but I don't know if you can", you'd need to share
more details.

Best Regards,
--
Christopher Schmidt