[mapserver-users] Using a 16-bit per band PNG image

Reinoud Bokhorst bokhorst at argoss.nl
Tue Mar 17 03:25:35 EDT 2009

Hi,
I am trying to use a PNG image with 16-bits per color band
(TYPE=UInt16 according to GDAL) as a raster layer in mapserver. But
what comes out is reduced to a 8-bit per color band PNG (TYPE=BYTE)
resulting in a loss of colors.

I tried various imagetype options like aggpng24, png24 and my own
outputformat definitions with imagemode RGB, RGBA and INT16 but all
gave the same result.

It seems that I should be using INT16 but mapserv crashes on it.
Apache log file only shows "Premature end of script headers: mapserv".
Also the documentation mentions "No presentation" for the INT16
option: what does that mean?

This is the mapserver I am using:
<!-- MapServer version 5.2.0 OUTPUT=GIF OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG
OUTPUT=WBMP OUTPUT=SVG SUPPORTS=PROJ SUPPORTS=AGG SUPPORTS=FREETYPE
SUPPORTS=ICONV SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT
SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WFS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER
SUPPORTS=SOS_SERVER SUPPORTS=GEOS INPUT=EPPL7 INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR
INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE -->

Reinoud Bokhorst