[mapserver-users] Installing MapServer on existing Apache/PHP/MySQL on Linux?

kreshna_iceheart at yahoo.com kreshna_iceheart at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 29 00:19:37 EDT 2009

So I'm going to install MapServer and PostGIS/PostgreSQL on a Linux server. The Linux server is a production server, and it already has an existing Apache/PHP/MySQL installed.

The problem is: I'm totally inexperienced in installing MapServer on existing Apache installation. I usually installed all the underlying components myself (Apache, PHP, postgreSQL, etc), following the steps described here:
http://72.14.235.132/search?q=cache:4PJQPLdKVrMJ:ms.gis.umn.edu:8081/ms_plone/docs/howto/verboselinuxinstall+installing+MapServer+on+linux&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk

Theoritically, all I need to do is recompile the existing Apache installation, using the switches described in the Verbose Linux Installation above, am I correct? Anyone experienced in installing MapServer over existing Apache before? What are the caveats? Any tips to share?

Many thanks,
-Kresh