[mapserver-users] Installing MapServer on existing Apache/PHP/MySQL on Linux?

Gregor at HostGIS gregor at hostgis.com
Sun Mar 29 00:52:59 EDT 2009

> all I need to do is recompile the existing Apache installation

No, no; no need for that. MapServer is a simple CGI program, so if your
Apache has support for CGI programs you're good to go. And while support
for CGI can be disabled, it's probably enabled.

> Anyone experienced in installing MapServer over existing Apache before?

I've done it a few hundred times (literally) and am glad to share tips.
Feel free to email me directly with questions, but change the subject so
it doesn't get caught by my filters.

Step 1: Have you installed the prerequisites? GDAL/OGR and PROJ4 are not
strictly required, but if you want to do anything about reprojecting
data or using something other than shapefiles and TIFFs, they're
strongly recommended.

Step 2: Download and build the source. Download the tar.gz file from
mapserver.org, extract it, run ./configure with flags for whatever
features you want, and then "make" Then copy the files into place.

Step 3: Point a browser at /cgi/bin/mapserv and expect an error message
from having not supplied enough query params. At that point, you're ready.

--
HostGIS, Open Source solutions for the global GIS community
Greg Allensworth - SysAdmin, Programmer, GIS Person, Security