[mapserver-users] query mode, multiple selections

Mike Saunt mikesaunt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 18:20:47 EDT 2009

Hi

We use the back end CGI extensively and it is extremely fast.  It is simply
a case of being able to define what type of constraint you want against each
layer (tolerance etc) - I'm normally surprised if mapserver takes more than
a second or two to query up to 20-30 individual layers...

Hope this reassures!

Mike

2009/9/1 Chris Kantarjiev <cak at speedgauge.net>

> Sure. The basic use case is:
>
> User navigates to a particular, known, lat/lon as starting point; this can
> be by entering the known lat/lon values, or by navigation around cities.
>
> User then selects one or more links and can inspect attributes associated
> with those links - in particular, link_id and direction. Initial selection
> could be by sweeping out an area, but should also provide a way of
> adding/removing specific links from the selection (control-select).
>
> Did that makes sense?
>
> chris
>

> Steve Lime wrote:
>
>> You'd be surprised with what you can do with the CGI backend. It's
>> certainly possible, with the right
>> web client (e.g. something like GeoMoose or OpenLayers) to craft queries
>> against the CGI to select
>> one or many features from one or many layers using a point, box or
>> arbitrary geometry. Perhaps if
>> you could sketch out a use case or two...
>>
>> Steve
>>
>>  On 9/1/2009 at 12:49 PM, in message <4A9D5E9D.9000701 at speedgauge.net>,

>>> I'm just starting to play with query mode and find it very useful. I have
>>> an interaction style in mind that would let me select and highlight several
>>> (possibly connected) links in a layer in a fairly interactive style (more
>>> like one would do with ArcGIS, I guess). I'm pretty sure that I won't be
>>> successful doing this with the basic CGI, and am overwhelmed by the number
>>> of Ajax layers that I might choose from.
>>>
>>> Are there documents/pages out there that might give me some guidance
>>> about what's possible with the various packages?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> chris