[mapserver-users] mapfile and data encoding

Frank Broniewski liste at geo-dienstleistung.de
Wed Sep 2 08:39:28 EDT 2009

Hello list,

unfortunately I have to work with data in different encodings. Most of my data
is in UTF-8 in a Postgis Database, so I decided to go with the mapfile
encoding in UTF-8 as well.

Some shapefiles I have are in windows-1252 or iso-8859-1 and have of course
special characters in some fields. And I need to filter the data on these
fields.

So my question is: can I somehow escape the special characters to iso-8859-1
in my utf-8 mapfile so that the expression matches the data in the shapefile?
Because right now I get a blank map. Obviously simply using the character "as
is" in the mapfile does not work. I tried creating the character in iso-8859-1
in the console but I only get a diamond with a question mark in it and this
doesn't work neither. I found out that the sequence for é is 0xc3a9 but I
don't know what to do with that information ...

Many thanks

Frank