[mapserver-users] Shapefile Encrypt / Decrypt - UMNMapServer !

Hussain Hashmi tohashmi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 07:19:45 EDT 2009

Hello,

I havent done this before, and therefore seeking your suggestions please.
I have to develop a desktop application for browsing maps; but it demands
data security.  I have my data in form of shapefiles.

My following idea is still immature.

1. Use Csharp MapScript for creating desktop app.
2. Use .Net encrypt / decrypt methods for the shapefile.
3. decrypt the shapfile within the memory.  (Here I am wondering if
MapServer would be able to read shapefile from the memory location).

Has anyone here done it before.  I would be really greatful for any
suggestions &
sharing your ideas.

Thanks & regards,
Mir Hashmi