[mapserver-users] File Format Performance

Flavio Hendry flavio at tydac.ch
Wed Sep 9 09:31:43 EDT 2009

Hi Ian

> 1. Are ESRI Shape files the best file format for MapServer?

For smaller area yes. However I did not see a big difference between
Shape and MapInfo. Use shapeindex for larger files.

> 2.      Will storing all my data in PostgreSQL be faster (at rendering
> with php_mapscript) than ESRI Shape files?

Should be similar, maybe slightly slower. We use PostGIS for very large
site (gigabytes of vector data). Performance is pretty good, however I
would suggest quadcores and Linux 64. I would not like to fiddle around
with such large shapefiles and I do not like the idea of tiling the data .

> 3. Is there another options that is better (faster) than PostgreSQL
> or Shape files (e.g. another file format)?

MapInfo is pretty good too ... suggested if you are a MapInfo User.

Mit freundlichem Gruss / Best regards
Flavio Hendry

TYDAC Inc.  - http://www.tydac.ch
Web Mapping - http://www.mapserver.ch
Swiss Maps  - http://www.mapplus.ch
############      Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Kind Regards
############     Flavio Hendry, CEO - mailto:flavio at tydac.ch
############         TYDAC AG - http://www.tydac.ch
####    ####        Geographic Information Solutions
####    ####       Optingenstrasse 27 -- CH-3013 Bern
############   Tel +41 (0)31 368 0180 - Fax +41 (0)31 368 1860