[mapserver-users] Point in polygon

Steve Lime Steve.Lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Sep 22 09:04:09 EDT 2009

I know if you were in PostGIS you could do a spatial join of sorts. That is join
each commune polygon with the points it contains (or just a count) based on
an intersection operator. I don't know if that's possible with MySQL or not.

You could also consider pre-processing your data if it doesn't change often.
A simple MapScript script could be used like so:

  - for each commune geom
    - build a shapeObj
    - do a queryByShape() against the point data
    - store the count in the appropriate commune record

You might have to pull the park data into something MapServer can query.
With the count in the commune data you could easily classify on that
attribute. You'd see better performance as well.

Some ideas anyway.

Steve

>>> truongpm <truong_pham_minh at yahoo.com> 09/22/09 2:13 AM >>>

Hi list,

I have a problem with defined a point is in which polygon. For example, a
map have 2 layer: commune-polygon; park - point.
I want to layout color of polygon (each commune) depend on amount of point
in this polygon.

I done with query polygon from mySQL database, layout its color base on an
attribute in database.

My question is that how could i know which polygon that point inside???

Thanks for your attentions and sorry about my language skills.