[mapserver-users] How do I configure Mapfile to use image pyramids

Brent Fraser bfraser at geoanalytic.com
Thu Aug 19 10:01:05 EDT 2010

Mike:

  Two ways:

1. External Overview Pyramid
	- see http://mapserver.org/input/raster.html#rasters-and-tile-indexing and
	      http://mapserver.org/input/raster.html#raster-display-performance-tips
	- Make image pyramid levels with gdal_translate
	- create tile indexes for each level of pyramid with gdaltindex
	- add one LAYER entry in your map file for each level of your pyramid (and
carefully select a MIN/MAXSCALEDENOM for each)

or

2. Internal Overviews
	- create a GDAL VRT file with gdalbuildvrt
	- create image overviews with gdaladdo
	- add only one LAYER to your map file referencing the VRT file (and let GDAL
figure out the pyramids)

I haven't tried the second approach but it sounds interesting.

Best Regards,
Brent Fraser