[mapserver-users] Mapserver query using database connection

Pavel Iacovlev iacovlev.pavel at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 06:07:34 EST 2010

In mapserver you can specify the desired SQL query with variables in the
DATA section and create a template for it (example is for Postgis but works
for MSSQL in a similar way)
CONNECTIONTYPE POSTGIS
CONNECTION "dbname=yourdatabasename user=yourdbusername"
DATA "the_geom from (select g.gid, g.the_geom, a.attr1, a.attr2 from
geotable g join attrtable a on g.gid = a.aid) as subquery unique gid using
srid=4326"

You can avoid mapserver template's for querying if you
1) Want to do it from PHP anyway
2) You don't specifically need it in WMFS/WFS GetFeatureInfo format
For example create info.php that queries your databse and returns the
geometry as WKT and needed attributes, convert them to JSON/XML and send
back to web-browser where it can be easily read and displayed by OpenLayers.

http://iap.md, The future is open