[mapserver-users] OUTPUTFORMAT PDF rendering issue

Andrew Cowie acowie at gmail.com
Fri Dec 17 18:50:25 EST 2010

Hello Folks,

I was wondering whether someone may be able to help me. I'm currently trying
to set up a WMS to create a topographic base map of New Zealand using
Mapserver. So far, things are going ok, but have run into an issue when
trying to get things into a format for high quality hardcopy printing
(vector PDF).
The issue arises with 'spikey' rendering of polygons when using Mapserver to
output to PDF. When outputting as an image (PNG), the maps are drawn
correctly, but when choosing PDF, the output looks sort of generalised and
inaccurate. The data I'm testing with is a polygon version of the coastline
of NZ, at a 1:50000 scale - stored in a PostGIS database.

I have played around with the mapfile settings of RESOLUTION in combination
with SIZE - when using the default RESOLUTION of 72, the output is spikey,
as described, but as I increase this number - the output gets progressively
better. When I increase this to a very large number (16000) (with a SIZE of
9600 9600) - the output I get looks to be closer to the original dataset,
devoid of spikes.

I may be missing something obvious, so apologies if I am, but is this the
correct way of getting a high quality output to PDF?
I have tried this with the latest version of Mapserver - 5.6.5 and also with
the latest SVN version built with support for using the CAIRO rendering
library.
Mapserver is built on Ubuntu 10.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks