[mapserver-users] creating views/queries on the fly

Jan Hartmann j.l.h.hartmann at uva.nl
Tue Jul 6 04:58:52 EDT 2010

Hi Puneet,

Would a scripting language, like Pl/Pgsql, be something to tackle your
problem? It lets you build dynamic commands:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/plpgsql-statements.html#PLPGSQL-STATEMENTS-EXECUTING-DYN.

I have also used PHP to build dynamic SQL queries, but I don't know if
you can use that in your environment. I access those PHP-scripts in QGis
by writing out the mapping results as WMS services
(http://mapserver.org/ogc/mapscript.html).

You could also try Pl/Python from  within Postgresql
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/plpython.html)l. I've
never used it, but it's syntactically certainly more flexible than
Pl/Pgsql. Or even Pl/Perl, if your inclinations lie in that direction :-)

Jan