[mapserver-users] Mapserver in ubuntu: not displaying map

Alan Boudreault aboudreault at mapgears.com
Wed Mar 3 20:18:53 EST 2010

ashka,

Have you taken a look at the image url (in the browser) ? Since the
image path is "/var/www/tutorial/tmp" and "/var/www/" is already
available from the web (with the default apache configuration).... the
image url of your image should be something like
"http://localhost/tutorial/tmp/EX2.1_12675266704111.png". The image url
can be configured in the mapfile: http://mapserver.org/mapfile/web.html

Alan

ashka fernando wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to run Mapserver in Ubuntu Karmic Koala. I have
> successfully used Mapserver in windows and now want to migrate to
> ubuntu . But I'm very much new to ubuntu and struggle to get the work
> done smoothly.
>
> The Mapserver and Apache both are running ,works fine as localhost.
> I can get a map in map mode ( based on map server tutorial examples)
> but failed to get the map display in the browse mode.
>
> There is no error massage and the web template is displaying with all
> components except the map image. The map images are created inside the
> tmp folder however they are not displayed in the template interface.
>
> I think its due to permission issues but failed to solve it, even
> after going through forums.
>
> The locations of the templete and map files are /var/www/tutorial
> The location of the image path /var/www/tutorial/tmp
>
> For /var/www/tutorial/tmp permissions are as follows
> drwxrwsr-x 2 gisuser www-data  4096 2010-03-02 16:14 tmp
>
> when the new map images are created by the mapserver , the image files
> have permissions like this
> -rwxrwxr-- 1 www-data www-data 11686 2010-03-02 16:14
> EX2.1_12675266704111.png
>

> Why doesn't these map images are not displaying in the web template file?
>
> Can anyone suggest a way to solve this issue?
>
> This may be rather relate to running Apache in Ubuntu. As failed to
> get any help from ubuntu forum, compelled to ask help from you all.
> appreciate any help .
>
> ashka

Alan Boudreault
Mapgears