[mapserver-users] Publishing a dynamically created (and transient) map

Christian Jauvin cjauvin at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 12:19:36 EST 2010

Hi,

In a surveillance application I am creating (DraconesPH), I build new
maps by dynamically adding features on static layers (for instance,
convex hull polygons computed with PostGIS, illustrating the results
of a cluster detection algorithm).

Someone asked me recently if there was a way to publish those dynamic
maps as a WMS service: at any point in the application flow, a user
wanting to publish the current map would push a button, which would
save it (perhaps as GML?) and make it accessible from an external
application (along with some useful metadata), despite the fact that
the current map, being transient, may have changed meanwhile.

At first I thought that this was going to be easy, and that I would
simply have to study and understand the WMS/WFS model. In particular,
this page seems highly relevant to what I want to do:

http://mapserver.org/ogc/mapscript.html

But then I am not sure if this model exactly applies to what I have in
mind, and so I would appreciate any possible help or guidance.

Best,

Christian