[mapserver-users] WMS For Open Street Maps for MapServer?

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Fri Mar 19 17:41:06 EDT 2010

Can anyone tell me if there is a WMS server out there (that's working)
that serves Open Street Maps data? I've searched and found some old
sites that don't seem to be working now, and I found some information
that talks about a MapServer solution that involves downloading several
"helper" files and running things through PostGIS, but is it that
complicated? Isn't there just a simple WMS server out there I could use
to load US streets into a MapServer map or is this not the best way to
go about it?

I also tried http://services.giub.uni-bonn.de/wms?, with no luck. I
couldn't even get capabilities from it.

Here's one of the ones I tried. I'll post the code so if anyone sees a
problem with it, please let me know? That would be helpful. But as it
is, this server also doesn't appear to be working. Both of these were
mentioned in search googlits, but there's not  a heck of a lot out there
about this.
   LAYER
      NAME osm
      GROUP "Roads"
      TYPE RASTER
      METADATA
         "wms_title"           "Open Street Map"
         "wms_group_title"     "Roads & Highways"
         "wms_format"          "image/jpeg"
         "wms_srs"             "EPSG:4326"
         "wms_name"            "osm"
         "wms_server_version"  "1.1.1"